Thursday, July 30, 2009

Happy Birthday to Patty


Happy Birthday to Patty

Little Patty Sourwine was born July 30, 1949. This month that lovable little girl will celebrate her 60th birthday. I am pleased to have shared over two-thirds of them with her.

The first time we celebrated one of her birthdays was in the late 60’s. We were boyfriend/girlfriend at the time and about to get married. We completed the simple ceremony in the winter of 1970, just two days before Christmas. When we took our vows we said things like, “til death do us part.” Now it looks like that is how it is going to be. Don’t read into that comment, neither of us has a fatal illness or anything like that. It is just that we have gotten so accustomed to each other that I just don’t see either one of us seeking greener pastures. Besides, I still love her and she tells me and demonstrates that the feeling is mutual so that is that. The truth is, the longer I know her and the more I learn about her the more I love her.

Now that I have spent nearly a lifetime with her, I can say that Patty has grown in ways I could never have imagined. Here are a few of the ways she has impressed me:

Compassion: Anybody who has known Patty is aware of her kindness. You can see it in the way she deals with pets, the elderly, strangers, friends, family and children. She even feels sorry for mice in traps and droopy flowers.

Lover: I guess if you haven’t gotten better in this regard after 40 years of marriage, you ought to call for a “do over”.

Beauty: Patty is not an especially vain woman, but she has always made an effort to look nice. She does not overdo jewelry or makeup. She just lets her natural beauty speak for itself. She is still eye candy to me.

Matured gracefully: Gravity, father-time and chocolate have played a few tricks on Patty, but she just doesn’t dwell on those things. She likes who she is and I do too.

Mommy: Wow, what a mom. I always knew Patty would shine in this category, but she has exceeded any expectations I may have had.

Dogs: If you like to have your tummy scratched you will find Patty to be among your very best friends.

Patience: This is an example of a quality that reveals itself over time. There is no way I could have ever known how strong Patty would be in this department, especially in dealing with an aging parent.

House keeper: As hard as it is to believe, Patty actually derives some pleasure from making the family home a comfortable place to be. I don’t help her enough but she seems to want to do it her way so I don’t see any reason to fight with her over it.

Driver: Over the years, my vision has deteriorated and Patty has become our chauffer. She never complains and she is a very safe driver.

Fun: There is a difference between loving someone and liking them. Patty has earned both. We have done so many things together it is almost a sin of gluttony. We have climbed peaks, walked in beach sand, sat in the front row of concerts, rented an entire luxury box at sporting events, visited faraway lands and laughed together until our stomachs hurt. She is a wonderful best friend.

Church/faith: When we first got married this was not a big part of our lives, but over time, she has found her place and she remains very steady and at peace with her beliefs.

Employee: Patty spent 25 years trying to make cancer patients more comfortable. She showed great promise right away and spent the majority of her career as a coordinator of her department; often giving treatments to dozens of patients each day. Many of the family members sent thank you notes to her for the way she handled their loved ones. Imagine how proud I am of her for that.

Naturally, I always knew Patty was special, but these are a few of the ways that she has surprised and amazed me.

As our time together begins to wind down, we can count over 200 birthdays that we have shared: 40 of hers, 40 of mine, 30 each for our two sons, and probably another one or two each year of somebody else.

I don’t know of any way to make this birthday of hers as special as she deserves it to be. We will probably play the Beatles Birthday song because that has become a ritual for us. We might go out and eat or have the boys over because these too have become common but cherished activities.

Her milestone will not be celebrated by the masses, but I can tell you I am very grateful to have spent over 15,000 days with her.

I guess all that is left to say is Happy birthday, Darlin’. Thanks for sharing your wonderful self with me all of this time.

To comment simply register as a follower. You do not get put on any lists

1 comment:

Matt Rhode said...

"A" grade for being an Aunt as well.