Sunday, June 20, 2010

Tidy Up

She moved the piece of paper to the edge of the table.

That seems like a rather simple action. It would not mean much to anybody else but it mattered to me. My wife is a “Tidy Freak”

The table was only 4 foot square because we were sitting in a restaurant. I had just made some notes on a napkin and set the paper in front of me. We were catching up on some small talk and then suddenly she just couldn’t help herself. She grabbed that evil napkin and moved it to the edge of the table. I guess she thinks it is more likely to reach its ultimate destination if it is one foot closer to our exit route.

She does that all the time. I am constantly looking for things that I previously put somewhere for later. When I go to find the waiting item, it is nowhere to be seen. If I ask where it went, she usually has put it somewhere that she perceives to be better. You might be able to guess how the conversation goes.

“Do you know where ‘It’ is?
“I put it over here”
What was wrong with it where it was?”
I just didn’t want you to forget it
Why would I have a better chance of remembering something if you remove it from where I left it?
Well this is better
It’s not better if I have to go find it
Fine, then I will just stop helping you!!!
(Now how do you respond to that?)

Patty is not the only person who likes to tidy up.

Not long ago, I was giving a speech to a group of Realtor friends. I use one of those easels with large pieces of paper on it. There comes a point in the presentation where I dramatically tear off a piece of paper and publicly proclaim that “my wife is not here so I get to be sloppy now” then I tear off the page and throw it to the floor and make a big deal out of being a slob. It is intended to be a light hearted moment and take any formality off of the speech.

When I got to the break, I turned around to pick up the paper and discovered that it was gone. One of the women just couldn’t stand to leave it there. She had already picked it up. I was amused so I asked her, “Do you tend to ‘tidy up’ at home”?

Suddenly we realized we live in identical homes.


My wife and I are not Felix and Oscar of Odd Couple fame. Neither of us is that extreme, and I have to admit I am lucky to have her around, otherwise our home might become a mess.

But I just don’t see why she had to move that piece of paper.

I think I am going to go tidy up her sewing table, just to teach her a lesson.

Does your spouse annoy you? How?

Be sure to visit my other blog

No comments: