Thursday, November 19, 2009

Women Are Observant

Women are more observant than men. They “gather” information.

Perhaps it comes from having children and being in charge of so many things.

Or, they might just be more vain or self-conscious or they might be trying to avoid mistakes.

I don’t really know why they are that way, but believe me they are. Most of the people in this informal survey agree.

According to Blorge, 8% of us have blogs. Furthermore, more women than men visit Blogs to get information and more women actually have their own Blogs.

Their observant tendencies might explain why women give directions the way they do. They are not merely tuned into go left or turn right; they also pay attention to the landmarks like the picket fences and the color of buildings.

My wife can walk into most stores and quickly realize where most things are. It is much deeper than just reading the signs hanging from the ceiling. She just “senses” where things are kept. This is all a result of her paying close attention in all of the previous stores which she has visited.

On the other hand, I can go into a store that I have been in before and get lost. It is all because I am usually a destination shopper. When I go to a store I just want to get what I came for and get out. I just don’t bother to gather information for some theoretical next time that I might return.

I tried to think of circumstances in which men are more observant than women and the most obvious one was when they observe women, but the more I think about it, it seems to me that women probably also do a better job of paying attention to each other than the men do. Nicole and her readers tend to agree with me. Women notice when another woman streaks her hair or cuts it or if she wears a nice outfit or loses weight or gets a breast implant or wears a new outfit, but men don’t usually pay much attention to things like that.

Can you imagine one fellow saying to another, “Gosh, George, I really like your hair that way”?

I have been looking at my wife for 40 years. You would think that after all that time, I would notice any such changes but I usually don’t unless the changes are drastic. The truth is I am oblivious to the occasional things Patty does to doll herself up. I try to tell her that her natural beauty is so obvious that I just don’t care about the insignificant window dressing, but we both know that is just a pathetic attempt to win her favor.

I might as well just face the facts: women are more observant than men.

comments?

feel free to drop by my other blog

No comments: