Wednesday, September 30, 2009

The King of Cinema

The King of Cinema

Patty and I were watching the Bucket List the other night. The stars are Morgan Freeman and Jack Nicholson. In one scene the Freeman character demanded that Nicholson identify some things he believed in. After mentioning several life lessons Nicholson delivered a funny line when he added, "and never trust a fart." from the moment I heard it I knew that line would join a long list of Nicholson classics.

Later, I was recalling more of his great lines including, "Here’s Johnnie" from The Shining and "Wait ‘til they get a load of me " from the Batman movie and "You can’t handle the truth" from A Few Good Men or "You make me want to be a better man" from As Good as it Gets. Then there is the tuna salad scene in 5 Easy Pieces and the horny little devil in witches of Eastwick.

Any way you slice it Nicholson knows how to deliver lines in a memorable way. But he is not the only one. How many of these great lines do you remember? I have listed the lines themselves separate from the sources. If you still want more, here are the top 100 quotes from the American Film Institute.


Who said it? Which Movie?
 
They calll me Mr. Tibbs

I’ll have what she is having

Rose bud

I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore

I’m gonna make him an offer he can’t refuse.

Are you kidding, the fall will probably kill you

Here’s looking at you kid

May the force be with you

You’ve got to ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky" Well do ya, punk?


What we’ve got here is a failure to communicate

Go ahead, Make my day
 
Frankly my dear, I don’t give a damn

Mama always said life is like a box of chocolates

Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine

They drew first blood, not me

I’ll be back


The Answers:

Sidney Portier/In the heat of the night
They calll me Mr. Tibbs

Estell Reiner (not Meg Ryan)/When Harry Met Sally
I’ll have what she is having

Orsen wells/Citizen Kane
Rose bud

Peter Finch/Network
I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore

Marlon Brando/Godfather
I’m gonna make him and offer he can’t refuse.

Paul Newman/Butch Cassidy & Sundance kid
Are you kidding the fall will probably kill you

Humphrey Bogart/Casablanca
Here’s looking at you kid

Harrison Ford/Star Wars
May the force be with you

Clint Eastwood/Dirty Harry
You’ve got to ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky" Well do ya, punk?

Strother Martin/ Cool Hand Luke
What we’ve got here is a failure to communicate

Clint Eastwood/Sudden Impact
Go ahead, make my day

Clark Gable/Gone With the Wind
Frankly my dear, I don’t give a damn

Tom Hanks/Forrest Gump
Mama always said life is like a box of chocolates...
 
Humphrey Bogart/ Casablanca
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine

Sylvester Stalone/First Blood
They drew first blood, not me

Arnold Schwarzenneger/Terminator
I’ll be back

What are your favorites?

And remember, "Never trust a fart."

4 comments:

Matt Rhode said...

Bill Paxton is one of my favorite "one-liner" actors. His early career consisted of "bumbling-idiot" roles like Chet from Weird Science, or the pretend spy from True Lies, but he's also moved into more serious roles like the submarine captain in U-571. Some of my favorites: "You're stewed, butt-wart!", "Those aren't panties, that's a serious mental disorder!", "That looks pretty good . . . now make yourself some".

Dave Thyfault said...

Matt, You must have missed the point. These are supposed to be lines in movies that people have actually heard about.

If we are including young adult cult movies, I would have noted one of my favorites which was Butt Head's comment in Beavis and Butt Head do America. After scoffing at a park ranger's comments about Old faithful, the two lads were in the restroom playing with the motion sensor on ther urinals and Butt Head said "This is the coolest thing I have ever seen." The ignorance was priceless

Unknown said...

I've heard of Weird Science and I don't even watch movies :)

Anonymous said...

Hi! I know this is kind οf off-topic
but I haԁ tο ask. Does manаging а wеll-еstаblisheԁ websitе ѕuch as уοurs requіre a large amount of ωork?
I аm brand neω to wrіtіng a blog howеver
I do write in mу journаl eνeгy ԁay.
I'd like to start a blog so I can easily share my experience and views online. Please let me know if you have any recommendations or tips for new aspiring blog owners. Appreciate it!

Review my web-site :: lloyd irvin