Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Here Kitty, Kitty

Here Kitty, Kitty

If I was in charge of rounding up the animals for Noah’s arc and if there was only enough room for 2 dogs or 2 cats, I would have to say bye-bye to kitty.

As a young fellow I held some sort of unexplainable hostility for cats. I was even mean to them on a few occasions. I didn’t kill them or anything that dramatic, but by the time I was 13 I had sent a not-so-friendly kick into the side of a feline or two and I was known to throw a few rocks at the fuzzy little critters. To illustrate that I was an equal-opportunity jerk, I did some similar things to a few dogs; but overall I did not hold the same contempt for dogs. Naturally, I regret all of that now. None of them deserved it.

One of the reasons I was so stupid was I did not separate the actions of the animals from the actions of their owners. For example, if a cat got out of its own yard and somehow wandered into my yard, I felt entitled to teach "it" a lesson, rather than chat with the cat's owner. Or if the neighbor’s dog just wouldn’t stop barking, I held misplaced hostility for the canine instead of the 2 legged human in charge. If a strange dog pooped in our yard, I got angry with "it" not the owner.

Along the way I grew up. I began to kick the owners and throw rocks at them instead of their pets. (Just kidding)

By now I have "met" lots of pets that I liked. In 1972 I met Sassy. She was a Siamese cat who belonged to some elderly friends. Sassy was the first cat that liked me. Whenever I visited them, she would rub herself all over my legs. Eventually she jumped into my lap and I knew I was supposed to pet her. Before long I liked it. Altogether now, "Ahhhhh"

Over time, other cats have shown the same loveable quality and won me over. I am happy to say I don’t hate cats any more and I have even made a couple donations to cat shelters.

Six decades changes a fellow, sometimes for the better.

But I still like dogs better.

What about you?

To tell me what an idiot i was, just register as a follower. You are not placed on any mailing lists.

2 comments:

Justin Thyfault said...

I am wary of any pet that is considered 'trained' when it only poops in one spot of its house. Although, maybe I have been to harsh to cats all of these years. Afterall, I also have been trained to poop in only one place in a house.

Matt Rhode said...

Cats are only good for getting rid of critters. And Justin doesn't know what the hell he's talking about. Poop in one place? Ours prefers the pans under the burners grates on our stove. Makes for a fun smell when you fire up dinner. Other haunts include all of the rugs, the carpet just in front of the shower, and on occasion, outside. I love animals too to the point of catching spiders and delivering them outdoors rather than killing them, but when Mikey the cat passes, we will have a no-feline zone.