Saturday, September 18, 2010

Saying Goodbye

I have come to the conclusion that my family does not understand what “Good Bye” means. My wife, for instance, must not have ever been taught that good-bye is what you say when you or somebody else is leaving. For her and others like her, good-bye is a process not a parting comment. A recent family gathering served up one of my favorite examples.

On that particular day, two of my sisters had come to town from Texas. Jeanine also brought the majority of her daughters (four of five). They were all hanging around at my aunt’s house with her and her daughter (my cousin), Genise. Patty and I went over to visit them. If you haven’t added it all up, that makes 9 females and me.

As usual, we had an enjoyable time talking about the good old days, and gossiping about people who were not there and other girly stuff like bugs, babies, recipes, wine types and home decorating. We did not discuss interesting topics like trucks, fishin’, stinky feet, football or peeing outdoors. Eventually, it was time to call it an evening.

“It” usually begins when somebody says something like, “We probably ought to be heading home.” That comment is usually met with some resistance like. “Ah gee, don’t go. We don’t get together very often.” Well, once one of the people is mentally leaving and the others are not yet done visiting, a fascinating conflict ensues.

The departing party does not want to be rude or appear like she is not enjoying herself, so she drops that matter for a while and engages in further conversation. However, the others know that the train has left the station so they wish to embrace any remaining moments together. They return to their corners, like boxers, for another half hour or so. And the conversation lives on like reruns.

The next phase is reached when someone stands up. The others follow suit and they resume the conversation for another ten minutes while standing in the exact same space that their feet were in when they were sitting down.

Eventually, someone leans toward the door and that is the point when they all realize the gathering really is winding down. About that time one of them visits the ladies’ room. The others put the conversation on hold and engage in a round of hugs. They say things like, “We have to get together more often.” When one comes back from the bathroom, another one takes her place.

Then, someone grabs the doorknob. That should end it all. Everybody has already peed, hugged and bid their farewells. But no, no, no! We still have a long way to go. They all line up, single file, and one by one they follow the leader out the door. Then the leader turns around and hugs somebody. Well, when she re-hugs one person she has to re-hug them all…again. Many others join in a new round.

We got to that stage the other day. I had already been in the front seat for about 10 minutes before my wife completed her rounds. Just when she was about to join me, my aunt asked her another question. Patty returned to the circle of hugs and a new round of discussions were under way.

By that time, I was giggling at the fact that none of them know what Good Bye means, so I thought I would see just how far they would take it. I decided to get out of the car and face my aunt with open arms. Naturally, she took the bait; and, a whole new round of affection was underway. With that event in motion, my giggles elevated to a genuine laugh. While they were wrapping up that round I was laughing so hard I could not stop. Then my cousin figured out what was going on and she started to laugh too. Then we had to explain it to everybody else and smiles consumed the group.

Patty finally got in the car. I have to admit that I had not been so entertained in quite some time and I have changed my mind, at least temporarily. If saying good-bye in their way can bring so much pleasure, it cannot be wrong.

With that, all that is left to say is good-bye, good-bye, good-bye, good-bye, good-bye, good-bye, good-bye, good-bye, good-bye, good-bye, good-bye, good-bye, good-bye, good-bye, good-bye, good-bye, good-bye, good-bye,

No comments: