Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Cinnamon Pancakes

When I was a kid there was a tasty munchy called cinnamon toothpicks. They were made from the oil of cinnamon bark. They were cool because they were so hot.

This week I decided I wanted to make some cinnamon pancakes using that same hot cinnamon oil. I could just use cinnamon extract or cinnamon syrup but that only addresses the basic flavor, not the spicy-hot accent that I want to capture. I also intend to add red food color to the pancake mix to add an eye-catching appearance that is consistent with the flavor. I may even add a few of those candy red-hots that we see on Valentine’s Day.

To get started, I headed down to the local grocery store and nearly fell over when I discovered that they wanted $38 for a bottle with 2 ounces of cinnamon oil. I turned them down and regrouped. Later in the day I found out that Walmart would order a one -ounce bottle for $7.50. That is still a bit pricey but I am gonna give it a try.

My friend, Bob, suggested I just mix some of the hot oil with Cinnamon syrup and that may end up being the best plan. Besides, if the pancakes themselves are so cinnamony, then what do I use for syrup? Perhaps whip-cream or honey.

Would cinnamon syrup on cinnamon pancakes be too much cinnamon? Don’t know, but I may be able to update this article after breakfast tomorrow.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I would top with a light sprinkling of powdered sugar (or granulated sugar) and some butter. The pancakes are so different and extravagent that the topping needs to be simple.

Sharon said...

How did they turn out??

Dave Thyfault said...

Update: I tried my first batch of pancakes...oops. still have a ways to go.

They were hot, but probably too hot for the average person, so I have to cut back on the cinnamon oil.

It also took a lot of red food coloring to get a red pancake, but that much food coloring has a fairly strong flavor of its own. So, that needs to be cut out.

I put butter and powdered sugar on top, as Heather suggested. That was okay, but not great. However that is worth another try once the food coloring flavor is removed.

In the next batch I will add some of those little red hot hearts that you see around Valentine's Day.

If I cannot zero in on a good pancake, I may just add cinnamon oil to cinnamon syrup and see if that gives me the desired product.

Back to the drawing board