Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Irreconcilable Differences













My wife and I have been married for nearly 40 years. We have had a few arguments along the way, and there is one problem that just will not go away. It does not matter how many times it comes up, the outcome is always the same. It has to do with walking.

Whenever we go walking together, whether we are in the neighborhood with our dog or on the beach at sunset or simply in the isles of the local grocery store, we have different objectives. She likes to exercise and move briskly, but I like to stroll along at a casual stride. She wants to see as many roses as possible and I want to smell them along the way.

The pattern is predictable. She will be the first one out the door as if she is leading the way. I pull in behind her like a trailer behind a truck. She instinctively tries to set a brisk pace. At first I try to keep up but when I draw closer, she accelerates to an even faster pace. It does not matter how fast I go, it is never fast enough. She cannot stand to have me at her side. She always has to be a half-step out in front as if to urge me to go just a little bit faster. Sometimes I suggest that she go at her pace and that I will go at mine and we can meet her at our destination, but then she points out that if we aren’t walking together it counters the original objective. So, that does not work.

Eventually, I realize “it” is happening again and I grab her shoulder. We have gotten to that point so many times she instantly knows what my message is. She will usually slow down for a moment or two, but she is as anxious to get going again as a kid is on Christmas morning. It is just a matter of time before her subconscious takes over and off she goes undeterred. A few moments later we are nearly jogging again.

Every once in a while a couple gets to the point where they just cannot resolve their differences. This is one of those cases. We have been going for walks for 40 years but we still cannot walk in harmony. No doubt about it, when it comes to walking together we have irreconcilable differences.

Perhaps we should visit a walk therapist.

Dont forget my other blog, currently discussing buying cars.

No comments: