Friday, October 8, 2010

Old Blue

I bought Old Blue on eBay. It is a '94 Chevy pickup. I have an unnatural attraction to it. It has lots of miles on it, but it seems to want to keep going. I am the second owner and the 4th owner. You read it correctly – I have owned it twice.

The original owner was the State of Colorado. They put 108,000 miles on it. When they were done with it they turned it over to the prison system. Prisoners put it in decent running shape and then listed it on eBay. I paid $1,800 for it. Not bad considering it had air conditioning, auto transmission, V-6 engine and a good interior. Overall I thought it was a good system. They got to learn a trade; I got a good deal and the state got some money from an old asset.

Old Blue has helped me remove hundreds of trees from the forest and that alone paid for it. But it has done a lot more than that. It has also hauled many cords of firewood over the mountain, most of which was given to my elderly step-father or sold by my nephew.

After I used it for about 5 years, a friend needed a cheap vehicle. I sold it to her , mostly as a favor. She had to put a few dollars into it, but not a lot. Eventually she saved up enough money to buy something better so I bought Old Blue back,

This week, I put another $1,000 bucks in it and I think it will last another few years. I am not sure what happens next. There are two people showing interest in it. Time will tell.

What ever happens, Old Blue will probably limp along like the old friend it has always been

No comments: