Friday, April 2, 2010

Taxes

My niece graduated from college about ayear ago. She got married shortly thereafter. Now she is dealing with a new reality, includinghow taxes steal away our money. but in her case she has some extra reason for concern. here is her story.
Let me preface this by saying, I do not know much about government. Most of the complicated political dialogue that is thrown around goes over my head. But what I do understand is that the federal government is finding more and more ways to insert itself into my private life through the guise of protection, when all they really want is to redistribute my money.

For example, when I moved to Chicago, I brought a car with me. In order to park my car on a public street in front of my building, I had to get new license plates. OK, fine by me. Well, first I had to get an Illinois Driver’s License. Then I had to transfer the title on my car to Illinois (with an accompanying fee). Then I had to pay for the plates and the sticker. All of this seemed normal (annoying, but still commonplace) until they told me I had to pay for a city sticker. Apparently, in order to keep too many people from owning cars, they require that drivers must purchase one of these city stickers. Without one, your car will be fined $50 for each infraction, and after 3 it will be booted and towed. And trust me, they will catch your car every single day. There is no shortage of ticket police in this economy. This magical little sticker costs $150 a year. So, in order for me to even own a car in Chicago costs $400. Our building is on a street that does not require an additional sticker, which many of the streets immediately behind our building require. This additional sticker says that you live on the street you’re parking on to ensure that people who do not live there do not park there. It costs $25, and let me tell you, we used to live on a street that required one of these additional stickers, and they do nothing to create more parking spots. It’s simply an additional way to tax people.

Now, obviously, I elected to own a car. No one forced me. What I am pointing out, though, is how complicated owning a car can be. The government has made the very simple concept of owning a car an incredibly complex one, and attempted to force people to give up the battle and opt for public transportation (which is owned by the city…convenient). When people fail to adhere to their control, they are heavily fined. Either way, the government makes a pretty penny off of people simply living in Chicago. There are cameras on the lights here. If you run a yellow light, automatic $50 ticket. It’s illegal to talk on a cell phone while driving ($200 fine) and it’s also illegal to text while driving. I don’t encourage doing this while driving because it is dangerous, but that’s not why they regulate it; they want OUR MONEY. It even costs $7 in tolls if you want to leave this crappy city.

Knowing how complicated, expensive, and bureaucratic owning a car can be, I cringe to think that people earnestly believe the government will take care of them with healthcare. For myself, I just want the government to leave me alone. I want the freedom to succeed in life without being taxed to oblivion for it, and I want the freedom to utterly fail and dig myself into the ground without interference. Is that too much to ask? Am I being too young and naïve?

What do you think? Are you bothered by the level of control the government has? Or do you prefer the government to regulate the issues daily affecting your life?


So, Whaddya think? Do you feel sorry for her?


BE sure to drop by my other blog

1 comment:

Caleb said...

CRAPPY CITY@%@#$!#@!#$!@#%#@
It's a damn fine city. Thank goodness they broke up the 4 buroughs.
Plus its spring in the city, I love Chicago, I am just glad I dont live there. PS. it costs me about 3 dollars a day to come and go from that very fine and beautiful city.