Monday, February 22, 2010

Air Supply:

Caleb is a long-time neighbor, who grew up and rasied a fine family of his own. He is an interesting fellow becasue he always has an opinion. I am glad he has agreed to share one of them with us. He says society has a problem. See if you agree.

Air Supply
by Caleb Wilson

In early 1980 an Australian band by the name of Air Supply got their first sappy love song “lost in love” to a man named Clive Davis who put them in a contract with Arista records and skyrocketed them to fame in only a couple of months and after only seven short months they had two top singles. I don’t personally care for Air supply’s particular brand of music but then I was not a fan of much of the music of the 80’s anyway. I heard their name on the radio the other day and it got me thinking. To state that you have a supply of something indicates that there is a limited amount it and at some point, you will run out. In the case of air, that seemed kind of silly to me. I had however been thinking about something else in America that seems to have run out. While I was contemplating our depleting sources in America, Air Supply came on the radio and my brain waves must have crossed signals because the words that formed in my head were “care supply.”

I got to those words because I was wondering, for the 1000th time, what happened to the people of this once great country, I am talking of course about those proud, sophisticated people who called themselves Americans. Then Air Supply rudely interrupted and I got care supply. I was wondering what happened to all the people, possibly even my parents own generation, who believed so strongly, in so much that there was always a “radical” movement. Which lead me to the thought that perhaps there was a “care supply” for this country that got used up by the generations just before mine? You know those Americans I speak of the ones who fought a second world war, the ones who rounded up communists in America, the ones who protested Vietnam and believed in the right to get stoned and “make love not war.” There were several generations before mine who were so active in the community, it had to get a tetanus booster and decided to get a sexual diseases test just to be on the safe side. Apparently after that the community changed its identity and went in to hiding because after about 1975 not much else has happened in it that was positive. Back for the moment to these men and women who had an opinion and felt they could affect change if they worked together to express that opinion. They had an abundant amount of care supply or did they?

Flash forward to today. I look around at a country where it seems the care supply is all used up. I am inevitably reminded of one of my most favorite science fiction inventions ever. You guessed it (more likely you did not) the SEP field, invented by Douglas Adams and introduced in the “Hitchhiker’s guide to the galaxy.” The premise of the SEP field was that, when used properly, it rendered just about anything, no matter how ridiculous, invisible. Best stated, an SEP is something we can't see, or don't see, or our brain doesn't let us see, because we think that it's somebody else's problem. The brain just edits it out; it's like a blind spot. If you look at it directly you won't see it unless you know precisely what it is. Your only hope is to catch it by surprise out of the corner of your eye. The technology required to actually make something invisible is so complex and unreliable that it isn't worth the bother. The "Somebody Else's Problem field" is much simpler and more effective, and "can be run for over a hundred years on a single torch battery." This is because it relies on people's natural predisposition not to see anything they don't want to, weren't expecting, or can't explain. In this case, the Starship Bistromath ("a small upended Italian bistro" with "guidance fins, rocket engines and escape hatches") has been hidden from the crowd watching a Cricket match at Lord's by an SEP field. People may see it, but they take absolutely no notice of it. As I look at the climate in America today and all the myriad problems facing this once great nation, I can’t help but feel someone turned SEP fields on. It just seems to me that people do not care the way they used to. Now more than ever we need a replenished “care supply.” So I challenge you the reader, to ask yourself if your “care supply” is up to date and ready to be used. There are enough problems in this country that something effects you every day, even if it’s only a little nag in the back of your mind, try something new and try to gather like minded friends and affect change. As Oscar Wilde so aptly stated, “Discontent is the first step in the progress of a man or a nation.”

10 comments:

amwz photography said...

love the last quote..
this blog actually makes me think of selfless care-ful jobs that are out there that nobody wants or thinks are undesirable by their own self-ranked standards..
garbageman- how selfless they are in that they take what you deem trash away to make your world better around you
motherhood- do I need to go there??? that in itself is cause for many blogs!! ;)
fisherman

beauty is in the eye of the beholder.. and so is the supply of the caretaker...
I think we all have a limited supply at one time or another. I believe that is the give and take of human nature. When one gives of their abundant supply it will come back to them- sometimes 10 fold and some times in ways unseen.

This is a great entry... can't wait to see what other see as a supply they have and how they give of it.. freely or otherwise...

Dave Thyfault said...

amwz "Pam" is on to something there. I can get along a lot longer withut my doctor than I can without my trash collector. Perhaps we should persuade the government to provied a "Trash Insurance" program for us all.

Matt Rhode said...

Insightful Caleb. People don't care because they are comfortable. Go hungry because u-boats are sinking shipping, or have your name cast in a lottery to fight in southeast Asia and people would start caring again. 911 you say? Most people don't know any of the thousands that died. If buses in Denver were blowing up once a month, that would be different, we wouldn't be comfortable. I have no doubt the "sleeping giant" will wake again when the entire country's comfort level is threatened.

Dave Thyfault said...

Well Caleb, you left the door wide open so I have to ask...what about you? What do you care about to the same degree as those you mentioned? Do you have passion about anything?

Dave Thyfault said...

One more thing. The "Tea Party" movement is very vocal. There are many millions of people dedicated to one cause.

Last year there was similar disdain for Bush and especially the war, so I would say politics has generated lots of people who "care".

Sharon said...

I don't think there is any less caring going on in this country, I think it is just not unified behind one issue. Political activism and enlistment rates are not the only way to demonstrate compassion. Look at the overwhelming support for Haiti, the pro-life movement, the anti-war movement, the Tea Party movement, PTA boards, PETA, NOW, NAACP, Breast Cancer Walks...I could go on and on. There are millions of organizations that cross the political spectrum for anyone who cares enough to join one and work in it. Americans may not be unified enough behind one cause to have a majority, but that is not indicative of a lack of compassion. It's easy to look back at history and see a golden age, but that's not necessarily the whole picture, and comparisons between the 40s or the 60s and today can be tricky to make.

Caleb said...

So I love the great comments and now I feel like I should add my two cents:
Pam it’s a good point you make about things coming back tenfold, I agree with you whole heartedly.

Matt, I personally feel similarly the way you do. This country, especially the "Z" generation have become so used to feeling entitled and so engrossed in ignorance that they don’t even realize what’s happening around them, let alone care about it.

Dave I am passionate about how screwed up America is by the elite and wealthy and how pointless the game of charades we call politics really is. I care so much that I would level a gun at a unknown strangers head pull the trigger without thinking twice about it if I KNEW that it would solve all the problems all at once, a “magic bullet,” if you will. What really saddens me is that I also believe that this country is done for, we are on one of the last spirals down the doody hole in the commode, the handle having been flushed some time ago and we are just the passengers on the water along for the ride, no hope for anything different without total upheaval to the system.
Sharon, you make some interesting observations, some of which I am rolling around for further thought. I will say, be cautious that you do not always confuse compassion for care, they are actually two very different things and can lead to very different behaviors. I am specifically speaking about care as defined by Webster thusly, 1. A burdened state of mind, as that arising from heavy responsibilities; worry. Sure there are tons of easy masks to hide behind in this country that indicate care for something, but as you so aptly pointed out, they never facilitate change.

Dave Thyfault said...

"Elite and wealthy"? There are millions of Americans who would include you in that group. You are educated and make a good living. Are you to blame for America's demise?

Justin Thyfault said...

Who cares what you all think...

Caleb said...

Papa Dave the short answer is yes, I am responsible. I care but do nothing. You might ask, "why do nothing?" because I have a family to hide behind now and frankly I personaly believe the only action that would send a message strong enough is killing, death, straight execution. Sadly, I dont have the heavy brass balls of our ancestors who were willing to do this to get the message across to Great Britian, so, I hide behind my family and just stay pissed off and feel ineffectual...